Monday, June 9, 2008

Donna Summer - Friend or Foe?

So I was talking to AJ at the gym yesterday and he told me he'd heard some negative rumors about Donna Summer and her views on the gay fan base that made her a rich woman...

He's been enjoying Donna's new comeback CD, "Crayons," but was finding it less and less enjoyable thinking she might be a big ol' homophobe...

I told him I'd heard the same rumors but for some reason thought she'd been misquoted or something but I'd do some research on the subject and get it out to Q Street News readers immediately!! :-)

Here's some of what Donna has had to say on the subject of those "anti-gay" rumors...

To sum up the rumor again for a German gay magazine interview in 2008, Summer stated, "What happened, was not by me. As an artist you have no control over what is written about you, and then read by perhaps one million people, and some people will believe that it is true. You can not go to each one and take it back. I must continue my life and I remain faithful. But my career started in gay clubs. I love my people, and this is the truth. And for many years I have done benefits for AIDS, because this is my contribution to the people who have made me great."

OK, you can be cynical and say she's just realized where her next paycheck is coming from, but based on those quotes, I'd go ahead and enjoy your downloads free and clear AJ!!

2 comments:

AJ said...

Thanks for the clarification Mr. Q! I can now enjoy her songs with less skepticism. Personal favs off her latest include: Science of Love, Crayons (Feat. Ziggy Marley), & Drivin' Down Brazil.

Mr. Q said...

I am here to assist my readers in any way that I can AJ...glad to be of assistance!!!