Sunday, June 8, 2008

DC Pride Week '08


So this is DC Pride Week...and I'll be posting thoughts and local pictures as the week continues ending with the parade on Saturday night and the festival on Sunday afternoon...


I've always had mixed feeling regarding Pride events...years ago after first coming out I just thought of it as a fun weekend of parties...

Once I did start thinking about what Pride was supposed to "mean" I pretty much rejected the entire event and rarely attended...what do a bunch of shirtless guys on floats and drag queens on the back of convertibles have to do with being proud of your sexual orientation...and what does that MEAN anyway???

At that time, I equated my sexual orientation to my being left-handed...it just was...and I'm neither proud (or ashamed) to be left-handed so why wouldn't my sexual orientation be just as basic a part of who I am...

I came to realize the problem with my "left-handed" theory is no one is denied basic rights as a U.S. citizen because they're left-handed. No one is physically beaten because they're left-handed. No one is kicked out of the military because they're left-handed. No one is ostracized from their church, their family, and their friends because they're left-handed.

So now I think of Pride as VISIBILITY...a few days to remind the general public we're here...and we come in all shapes, sizes and outfits...so if the DC Cowboys want to two-step on a float in assless chaps who am I to complain??? It's all supposed to be about acceptance, right?

More later...

No comments: