Thursday, April 10, 2008

Interesting interview...

And now for something completely different...


Obama speaks with The Advocate -

"The third thing I believe I can get done is in dealing with federal employees, making sure that their benefits, that their ability to transfer health or pension benefits the same way that opposite-sex couples do, is something that I’m interested in making happen and I think can be done with some opposition, some turbulence, but I think we can get that done.

And finally, an area that I’m very interested in is making sure that federal benefits are available to same-sex couples who have a civil union. I think as more states sign civil union bills into law the federal government should be helping to usher in a time when there’s full equality in terms of what that means for federal benefits."

Yes, there are (many) bigger issues he will need to address, but as a taxpaying citizen, it would be nice to have the same rights and benefits as every other American who just happens to be heterosexual.

Do I think he can actually get any of this done?

Right now I'd say I'm doubtful -
not due to a lack of sincerity on his part, but more from the opposition he'll face...

On the other hand...

I do think if anyone can do it, he probably can...



No comments: